1. Social media detox:It's no secret that you probably spend a massive chunk of your time scrolling past the explore feed on your Instagram, or Facebook-stalking that one friend you fell out with five years ago. Yes, it's addictive and yes, it's fun to do at the moment. What you don't realize, though, is that it takes up a really big chunk of your time. I was oblivious to this too until I downloaded an app called Moment, which tracks the number of minutes and hours you spend on your phone each day and alerts you if you go over a certain amount of time. My shock when I realized I was spending up to seven hours a day on my phone was incomparable and made me see that I needed a major break from all of it. You may be in denial, but you probably should do the same. So take a few hours off. Disconnect your Wi-Fi and read, or spend time with your family, or do an outdoor activity. Little by little, try extending the number of hours you spend away from social media until you can do it for an entire day. It's going to feel great, believe me.
2. List 5 reasons why you're thankful:Never underestimate the power of gratitude. It helps you see the good in life. Everyone has heavy days, and it's easy to get bitter and upset at times like those. A gratitude journal is what helps. All you have to do is keep a notebook and list five reasons why you're thankful for the past few days once a week. Eventually, that notebook is going to fill up, and whenever you feel down in the dumps, a quick glance over it can really lift your mood.
3. Pamper your skin:Think about what happens when you get tired or stressed. Where do you see effects of it first and foremost? That's right, your skin. We often underestimate the importance of taking care of what is our largest organ, and that truly shouldn't be the case. I'm a massive advocate of Lush products, my favorites being the Rosy Cheeks facemask and the Skin Drink moisturizer. Samina swears by the L'Occitane Aqua Réotier Moisture Prep Essense, which she uses during the day and at night. It's a lovely gel formula that leaves the skin feeling refreshed and soothed without being too sticky or oily, and you don't need more than 2-3 drops per application. She also uses the Bioderma Sensibio H2O as a way to clean her makeup off after a long day, which is something everyone should be sure to do. It allows the skin to feel soft and smooth and would be perfect to implement into any skin-care routine. It's important to note that although the product does not state that you need to wash it off, it does, in fact, leave a bitter residue, so by experience Samina would recommend giving it a quick rinse.
4. Clean up your apartment:Who doesn't love a clean space? Although it may seem like an annoyance having to clean up on the one day you have off, cleaning has actually proven to be psychologically therapeutic. Take 15 minutes every two hours to clean a space of your room or apartment; maybe the dresser, or your kitchen counter, or the TV unit. You'll find that by doing this, your apartment will be a much more pleasant place to be in. For extra brownie points, try putting some fresh flowers in a vase, or lighting a scented candle.
5. Sleep in.Nothing will make you feel better than getting a full 8 hours of rest. Chances are, you're running around like a headless chicken at 6 AM for most of the week, so take this opportunity to catch up on all the Zzz's you missed. Self-care means being selfish sometimes, so allow yourself to do so.